SiteDirector 5 - Many Ask - Here's the Answer
We receive many requests on the release date of SiteDirector 5 and if you go back to some of our older posts, this software has been in the making for quite some time. Honestly - we've had some big projects come up that have dramatically slowed the development of v5 last year. This has been unfortunate, but necessary. But - the good news is - we are putting together a great piece of software, and working through each piece to make it a strong, well rounded future looking application.
For those who want to know timeframes - you've heard me say, it should have been out yesterday - but that isn't the case. As we are winding down on the overall coding and digging into the expansion of the code, we are looking to release sometime first quarter of 2011 - there will be some releases before then to select customers who are working closely with us. So in the near future, we'll probably post some of these websites that are being built on the new version of SiteDirector v5. The biggest holdup of the new version is going to be the installation, documentation and actually working through the manual processes such as settings, attribute editors, promotion editors etc. The core of the application is done, and right now we are able to have it function completely, but to add some of those functions are more of a manual process. So these editors will make it easier to manage from the backend.
We're very excited about v5 - and look forward to getting more details out about it. We do apologize that we've been quiet about it more so than we originally were, but decided it would be better to just keep coding than to keep promising.
A glimpse at some of the new features:
- 1) Skinable - we've re-worked completely how the templates and layouts works and put them into a skin framework
- 2) Multiple Stores = One Console - run multiple stores and have all stores managed and orders flow into the same administration area (this is not the same as running multiple customers from one installation for developers).
- 3) Product Attributes - setup attributes for example computers; memory, processor, brand, ect ... this is helpful on the front end to help filter the products down for the customers.
- 4) Plug-ins - SiteDirector 5 is now more of a core product with many of it's features built in as plug-in's. There is a mechanism to allow developers to create plug-ins as well - this will allow for features (like product reviews) to be re-built by a developer and then update the application
- 5) Completely revamped console interface utilizing lots of JS and Ajax.
- 6) Extensive database redesign to add more flexibility and expandability. 7) Many other juicy tidbits that will be listed out hopefully by year end. If you have any questions or have a unique need feel free to contact us to discuss.